RSS

What Happened to Foster Parenting

Yes we finally became licensed to be foster parents back in June. I was so excited to receive our official license in the mail. But the license came just as Drew and I felt God tugging on our hearts to make another change. Drew really felt called to return to the town where he grew up, Claxton, GA. No you probably never heard of it unless you're a fan of nasty fruitcake. We prayed God would provide a good job if that's where he wanted us and he did provide, almost immediately. So, in August 09, we moved.

The hardest part about moving for me was knowing we would have to start the foster parent licensing all over again. As I packed up the room we had readied for two little girls I was overwhelmed with emotion. I couldn't stop crying. I had felt so strongly that God had two little girls just for us who needed our home. I had spent so much time painting, picking out bedding, and preparing this room to be a respite for girls I didn't even know. As we were packing I got a call saying there was girl who needed a home. I can't describe how heart breaking it was for me to say that we could not take her.

Now we are starting the process completely over again, because every state has it's own requirements and paperwork. We still have not sold our house in Rock Hill, which is a huge financial burden for a lot of reasons. We have lowered the price about as low as we can go without having to pay someone to buy it. So we are paying a mortgage for a house we don't live in, meanwhile we are living in small two bedroom house that needs a lot of work and is not big enough for any more children. We have plans to add on, but we can't until we sell our house in Rock Hill, SC. I feel like I am in this weird limbo. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Wondering what in the world God is doing. i just want to sell that house so we can move on with our plans. I want so badly to foster or adopt.

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out what God is trying to teach me. I'm pretty sure He is trying to teach me 2 things; the same 2 things I have struggled to learn my entire life. Contentment and Patience. Yup, I have neither. Every now and then I see a hint of contentment or patience as I am reading my Bible or praying or in a moment when both kids are napping and QUIET, but they always seem to fade so quickly. Usually those brief moments end abruptly with a kid crying or the car breaking down AGAIN!

I'm still certain foster parenting and adoption is something God has for the Miles' family in the future. His timing is definitely not my timing, but I am learning to trust. I still have miles to go before I sleep.

0 comments:

Post a Comment